- IceDogs lost to the 67s yesterday. I’m not too cut up because they played really well in this series against what was supposed to be a much better team. The IceDogs fans who went to The Cave behaved like any good away crowd should when in Ottawa: They out cheered the home crowd even though there were about hundred of them to.. what I’m told was a few thousand 67s fans. Quote of the day goes to Chuck or Ted (I can never remember which play by play guy is which): “In case you’re wondering about the ambiance in Scotiabank Place for a OHL game… there isn’t one.” He then basically called the place a cave. I officially love the IceDogs play by play guys. Even if I can’t remember who is who (it’s okay.. I still don’t know the names of the guys who do the Juniors games).
- Mr. Owner of the Hammies, I don’t approve of all this talk about Laval. I know there’s a lot of “ifs”, “ands” and “buts”, but seriously… I’m going to ignore everything about the Hammies moving for the next three years, okay? Good.
- So the Gazette had this thing about the CWHL the other day… I thought it was a good idea to bring up the issues that surround women’s hockey (mainly that there aren’t as many opportunities for women to play at high levels and they don’t get paid to do it). RDS actually ran the final (sadly not featuring the Stars) last night. It was pretty good =) What’s not good is that I can’t find any mention of it in the Gazette this morning…. I saw MMA stuff (barf), I saw something on Clara Hughes (YAY) and I saw loads of stuff about soccer (BarfManUBarf)… but no CWHL =( This makes me super sad and if I wasn’t going off to the middle of a field next year with only a junior triple a team as the nearest (read: not that close) team, I’d go see the Montreal Stars play.
- I wish I cared about the CIS final… it was on TV too… but I can’t when my default university team to cheer for got knocked out before. So myeh…. I’m only mentioning to further show my displeasure that my default team failed…
- Oh and…. I have guest this week:
His name is Mikey (at least that’s what they dubbed him on the spot when asked what his name was. I think he looks more like a Curtis). He’s my Passover fish. No, I’m not going to eat him! Nononononono, some pretty conservative Jewish friends of the family own Mikey and they can’t keep him in their house because his food isn’t kosher for Passover. Or something like that. So Mikey’s going to stay with us for a while \o/
EDIT: Have to add this from puckdaddy:
Phoenix Business Journal confirms through two of its sources, unnamed: “The National Hockey League is working on a backup plan with Toronto billionaire David Thomson and Winnipeg-based True North Sports and Entertainment that could send the Phoenix Coyotes back to Canada if a deal with Ice Edge Holdings or Jerry Reinsdorf to keep the team in Arizona falls through.” So is this just more Glendale lease posturing? If not, when does the war between Winnipeg, the NHL, Southern Ontario and Quebec City begin, exactly?
Reaction number 1) there’s billionaire in Canada not named Balsillie? Huh. Go figure. Reaction number 2) the not-Laval Hammies approve of these rumors. Kick the Moosies out of Mooseville instead! (and bring them closer to us so we don’t have to stay up late listening to Moosies/Hammies games in Moosieville).